Creamy apple flan
100 g (4oz) butter
1 tablespoon golden syrup
200 g (7 oz) ginger biscuits, crushed
50 g (2 oz) hazelnuts, finely chopped
500 g (1 1/4 lb) dessert apples, peeled, cored and sliced
2 tablespoons lemon juice
85 ml (3 fl oz) double or whipping cream
50 g (2 oz) caster sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 red apple, cored, sliced and dipped in lemon juice
Whipped cream (optional)
- Place the butter in a large jug and cook, uncovered, for 1 1/2 minutes or until it has melted. Stir in the syrup until well blended, and then mix in the crushed biscuits and nuts. to make the case, take a deep 20 cm (8 inch) cake tin with a removable base and using the back of a spoon press the biscuit mixture over the base and about halfway up the sides of the tin.
- Place the apple and lemon juice in a large bowl and cook, covered, for 7 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking.
- Beat together the cream, eggs, sugar and cinnamon. Mix with apples and blend in liquidizer.
- Return the apple and cream mixture to the bowl and cook, uncovered, for 2 1/2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds to avoid curdling
- Pour the mixture into the flan case and chill in the refrigerator. Decorate with slices of apple and serve with whipped cream, if wished.