Chocolate Zucchini Cake with Chocolate
- 2 cups (283g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (50g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 Tbsp (16g) dark cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup (113g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup (120ml) vegetable oil
- 1 3/4 cups (375g) granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup (120ml) buttermilk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups (330g) unpeeled shredded zucchini, preferrably at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (113g) unsalted butter, nearly at room temperature
- 8 oz (226g) cream cheese, nearly at room temperature
- 3 cups (375g) powdered sugar
- 6 Tbsp (36g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 13 by 9-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray, set aside. In a medium mixing bowl whisk together flour, both cocoa powders, salt, baking soda and baking powder for 20 seconds, set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with a the paddle attachment (preferrably one that constantly scrapes bowl while mixing, if not stop and scrape down sides and bottom of bowl occasionally throughout entire mixing processes) mix together butter, oil and granulated sugar. Mix in eggs one at a time then blend in buttermilk and vanilla extract. Set on low speed slowly add in dry ingredients and mix until well combined. Remove from stand mixer, add zucchini and fold to combined. Pour batter into prepared baking dish and spread into an even layer. Bake in preheated oven 32 – 38 minutes until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Allow to cool on a wire rack 30 minutes then cover and let cool completely. Once cool frost with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting and store in an airtight container in refrigerator.
- For the frosting:
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment cream butter and cream cheese until smooth. Mix in powdered sugar and cocoa powder then add vanilla and mix until combined.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy