- 3 medium yellow onions, sliced (2 lbs)
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Cheddar Cheese Sauce
- 1 1/2 Tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 Tbsp flour
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 cup milk, or more to thin if needed
- 5 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (1 1/4 cups)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp spicy brown mustard
- 1 (19 oz) pkg Johnsonville Original or Beer N’ Bratwurst Brats
- 5 brat or hoagie buns
- For the onions:
- Cut the tip and root from the onions. Cut them in half and remove the skins. Slice the onion halves (going the direction from tip to root) into slices. Melt butter in a heavy stainless steel or cast iron skillet over medium heat then add olive oil. Add onions and toss to coat with butter mixture. Let cook about 40 – 45 minutes, while reducing heat to medium-low as needed if they are browning too much and stirring occasionally, about every 5 minutes. Onions should be nice and golden brown and have a rich caramelized flavor. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- For the brats:
- Preheat a grill over medium-low heat. Grill brats 15 – 20 minutes, turning frequently until browned and center registers 160 degrees.
- For the cheese sauce:
- While brats are grilling, prepare cheese sauce. In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour and garlic powder and cook and stir constantly, 1 minute. While whisking slowly stir in milk. Cook and stir until mixture begins to lightly boil and thicken. Reduce heat to low, stir in cheddar and whisk until melted. Stir in mustard and season with salt to taste. If needed thin with a little more milk. Rewarm over warm heat if needed.
- To assemble the sandwiches place one brat on each of the buns, top with onions and cheddar cheese sauce, serve warm.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy