Honey Almond Granola
- 3 cups (270g) rolled oats (don’t use quick oats)
- 1 cup (150g) almonds, chopped
- 1/3 cup (36g) ground flax seeds
- 1/4 cup (58g) coconut oil, melted and cooled slightly
- 1/3 cup (110g) honey
- 1/3 cup (77g) packed light-brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1 large egg white
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees (if your oven cooks hot be sure to decrease the temperature as needed or the granola will burn. I recommend using an oven thermometer when baking. I always have to reduce my oven by about 15 degrees to get the right temp). Line a rimmed 18 by 13-inch baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- In large mixing bowl lightly toss together oats, almonds and ground flax seeds. In a medium mixing bowl whisk together coconut oil, honey, brown sugar, vanilla extract, almond extract and egg white until very well blended. Pour honey mixture over oat mixture and toss well until evenly coated. Pour oat mixture onto prepared baking sheet and spread into an even layer.
- Bake in preheated oven 13 minutes, remove from oven and flip granola with a spatula and spread back into an even layer. Continue to bake until granola is just lightly golden brown, about 12 – 17 minutes longer (it won’t be crisp until it cools, to check for doneness you can place a small piece in the freezer for about a minute or two and see if it becomes crisp. If it doesn’t pop the granola back into the oven for a few minutes. After the granola has cooled for about a minute I like to press down on the granola with my hands while it’s still warm, I think it helps it clump together more). Let it cool completely, break into clumps then store in an airtight container.
- Recipe source: adapted from my Coconut Granola