Creamy Potato Kielbasa and White Cheddar Soup
An incredibly filling and perfectly comforting soup for a chilly day! It has a delicious flavor blend of sausage, white cheddar and potatoes and chances are the whole family will love it!
1 Tbsp olive oil
- 13.5 oz. polish kielbasa sausage, quartered through the length then sliced
- 1 1/3 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup peeled and diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 (14 oz) cans low-sodium chicken broth
- 5 cups 3/4-inch peeled and diced russet potatoes (about 2 lbs)
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk (I used whole)
- 1 1/2 cups sharp white cheddar cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook until browned, tossing occasionally, about 5 minutes. Transfer sausage to a plate while leaving rendered fat in pot (there should be about 1 1/2 Tbsp).
Add onions, carrots and celery to pot and saute 5 minutes. Add in chicken broth and potatoes. Bring to a boil then cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15 – 20 minutes.
Meanwhile melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add in flour and cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. While whisking slowly pour in milk, then cook stirring constantly until it reaches a boil. Remove from heat.
Add milk mixture to soup in pot once potatoes are tender. Remove from heat, stir in cheese and sausage then season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in half of the parsley then garnish each serving with remaining parsley.
Recipe source: inspired by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures