Brownie Sandwich Cookies with Chocolate
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 12 oz good quality semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 15 Tbsp salted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed dark-brown sugar*
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 – 4 Tbsp half and half
- 1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Add 1/2 cup butter and 12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips to a medium saucepan and melt over medium heat, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and allow to rest until cool, 10 – 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt for 30 seconds, set aside. In a seperate mixing bowl, using an electric hand mixer, whip together 1/2 cup light-brown sugar, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, eggs and vanilla on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 1 minute. Using a rubber spatula, fold and stir in melted chocolate mixture. Working in 3 seperate batches, add 1/3 of the flour mixture and fold just until combined. Chill dough about 45 minutes (until it holds it’s shape), preheating oven to 325 degrees during the last 10 minutes of chilling.
- Scoop dough out by the heaping tablespoonfuls, shape into balls with buttered hands and drop onto Silpat or parchment paper lined baking sheets, spacing them 2 inches apart. Bake in preheated oven 12 – 13 minutes, then remove from oven and allow to cool on baking sheet 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Once cool, sandwich with chocolate chip cookie dough frosting. Store in an airtight container.
- For the frosting:
- In a mixing bowl, using an electric hand mixer, whip together butter and light-brown sugar (and molasses if using) until pale and fluffy, about 3 – 4 minutes. Mix in flour, then add vanilla and 2 Tbsp half and half and blend until well combined. Add in powdered sugar and whip until smooth adding an additional 1 Tbsp of half and half to thin if desired. Fold in chocolate chips.
- *or use light-brown and add 1 tsp molasses
- Recipe Source: cookies adapted lightly from Rachel Ray frosting – Cooking Classy